Saturday, October 5, 2013

9 Euros for a Two Day Trip? No Problem!


1239569_10202179475390997_230475085_n
So I was thinking today about my trip to Budapest that I took a little more than a week ago, and I realized there was something that I didn’t talk about: money, the one thing I lack more than most any traveler. If you have been following my blog, you will understand that I have been traveling with no money, however I still have food, and shelter, and can still site see. How do I do this? Sometimes I shock myself!
At the hostel I work at I unofficially sell shots, this is my only form of income, so when it came time for me to see Budapest, I only had 12 Euro on me. here’s how I did it:

1. I ate breakfast at my home hostel, so I wouldn’t have to buy anything I didn’t need to buy.

2. When offered food or drink while hitchhiking, I gladly accept, whether or not I am hungry, you never know when you will be near food again.

3. I had two free nights at the hostel I was staying, mainly because I promised that in exchange, I would distribute the fliers from that particular hostel to other hostels, particularly mine, and promised to send them customers (I have already sent about 3). This doesn’t always work, but it is more likely to work when there are a lot of empty beds, and you call ahead to ask.

4. I went the the cheapest bakery nearby and was able to have baked goods with a drink for on average 400 forints, which is a little more than 1 Euro.

5. I spent one whole day sight seeing — for free. I only went to places that were free or extremely cheap to get in, I am into architecture and history, so this isn’t too expensive of a cause. Also, some places will allow you in for a cheaper price if you take fliers from them and drop them at your hostel.

6. If I have anything left, and there are elderly beggars on the street, I give them what I can, not tiny change, but if I am at the end of my trip, I give them what I have left. Don’t worry, it always comes back to you tenfold, TRUST ME!

There were a couple of people at the hostel I stayed at in Budapest that wanted to watch me live off of 2,500 forints for 2 days (I originally had 12 Euro, but was ripped off at the money exchange, always exchange money at a bank if you can.) 2,500 forints is equal to 8.43 Euro, When I arrived back in Bratislava, I had 300 forints left, that’s about 1 Euro.

So, travel to and from Budapest (from Bratislava), two nights sleep, food for both days, and being touristy, only cost me 7.43 Euros, thats $10!

No comments:

Post a Comment